Monday, October 26, 2009
the sweetest thing
"On the bus radio, 'Fifty ways to leave your lover alone'/I laughed at the irony/But life is stupid, the irony all lost on me/It got lost on me."
I don't know why hand-crafting snack foods is so endlessly amusing to me. At the end of the world you will find me in the kitchen, humming quietly to myself while I fold sheets of yeasty dough into pretzel nuggets and mold shimmering streams of molten chocolate into perfectly coiffed cups of peanut butter.
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
You Will Need:
1 brick of chocolate (dark or milk - your choice)
1 jar of peanut butter (i prefer crunchy)
Various muffin cups
1. Dump the peanut butter jar into a large mixing bowl and whip with powdered sugar until it lightens in color and becomes sweet to the taste.
2. Separate and set out muffin cups on a plate
3. Slow melt chocolate by setting a large mixing bowl on a pot with an inch or two of boiling water at the bottom. Stir frequently until consistency is smooth and creamy.
4. Using a spoon, dollop chocolate into the bottom of each muffin cup and spread it - creating a base. Chill for 15-20 minutes until this base is firm.
5. Spoon peanut butter onto chocolate base and spread. Pour molten chocolate over the top of the peanut butter until it is fully encased.
6. Let chill in refrigerator.
*final product shots thanks to friend Ringo.