Sunday, October 4, 2009

cKale: Obsession



Re: a friend’s recent commentary on my eating habits, liking Kale does not make me “from California.” Being OBSESSED with Kale makes me from California (and believe you me, I am obsessed). And, yes, I am grammatically overstating my Kale by insisting on Capitalizing it in every part of this entry.



Kale and Tomato Bird's Nest


1 tbs olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch of Kale, torn from stem and roughly chopped
1 egg

To make: Heat olive oil in a large skillet on med-high heat. Drop in cherry tomatoes and garlic. Let cook for 3-5 minutes, until tomatoes start to stew. Turn heat up and stir in Kale, turning to coat and then covering. Let cook for about three minutes, until the Kale turns brighter green in color and begins to wilt. Turn heat down (medium is good), and spoon a hole into the center of the Kale/tomato mixture. Crack and drop the egg into the depression, covering the pan again to ensure that the egg will cook all the way through. Let cook until egg reaches desired consistency. Remove mix from eat and serve over toast/brown rice/sweet potatoes/pasta/whatever strikes your fancy.

4 comments:

Cate said...

I'm from California and obsessed with kale too...but I haven't had any since I left the country 8 months ago and it's making me really sad. Especially when I see beautiful pictures like this. Enjoy yours for me!

Suzy said...

you're back!(?) I'm obsessed with kale, though from California I am not. I made kale bagels a couple months ago, and theeeeyyy weeeerrreee yummmm.

sweeetheartfever said...

i'm BACK!

KALE BAGELS?! SUZY! Where have you been all my life? Where is this recipe?! I love it!

Suzy said...

http://havecakewilltravel.com/2009/07/27/have-you-done-your-kagels-today/


i've also made 'em with chard, which resulted in completely green bagels.

not sure i'm a fan of pondering the kegel muscle whilst baking, but on such a note YOU WILL b.m. like a rockstar after consuming just one of these.

en...joy?