Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Electronic Eggplant



I've never paid all that much attention to eggplants. Aside from the fact that they are unnervingly globular; a glossy, seemingly impenetrable orb of purple flesh, I've just never exactly cultivated a taste for them. Then, while meandering the Union Square farmer's market, I was caught off guard by some eggplants of a variety that I had never encountered before: miniature. I know, I know...I'm behind the times. Either way, I took them home, coddled them in my vegetable drawer for a night while I mused their fate, and eventually decided to make them into a recipe I found in Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." The recipe resides here.

The results were surprising, and by that I mean good. It's a little labor intensive with mini-eggplants (balancing onion, tomato, and cheese on each tiny half is precarious business) but worth the work. I think the little bit of nutmeg makes all the difference. Flavorful, bite-size treats. Yum.

No comments: